Established in 2011 by The Gruber Foundation, the Gruber Science Fellowship is awarded to the most highly ranked applicants to Yale PhD programs in the life sciences, cosmology, and astrophysics. This Fellowship is the most prestigious award offered by Yale’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences to incoming science students in recognition of their outstanding accomplishments and exceptional promise.
Gruber Science Fellows receive a stipend supplement and a research account in addition to the standard stipend and tuition award given to students in their respective PhD programs. Fellows are also entitled to participate in Fellowship events and activities throughout the academic year among many special privileges, such as meetings with seminar speakers and lecturers, a fall reception for new Fellows, and a spring picnic.
Selection of Fellows
Participating PhD programs (see below) nominate candidates who represent the most highly ranked applicants to their programs. Candidates chosen to be a Gruber Science Fellow are notified of their selection for this honor in an award letter along with the letter offering admission to the Graduate School.
Both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens are eligible to be considered as Gruber Science Fellows.
If you are interested in pursuing PhD studies in the life sciences, cosmology, or astrophysics as a Gruber Science Fellow, we invite you to apply to Yale!
Participating PhD Programs
- The Combined Program in the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS): http://bbs.yale.edu/index.aspx
- Department of Biomedical Engineering: http://seas.yale.edu/departments/biomedical-engineering/graduate-study
- Department of Astronomy: http://www.astro.yale.edu/
- Department of Physics: http://physics.yale.edu/
- Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology: http://eeb.yale.edu/
- Ph.D. Program in Public Health: https://publichealth.yale.edu
- Department of Chemistry: http://chem.yale.edu/
For further information about the Gruber Science Fellowship, please contact Dean Sleight: firstname.lastname@example.org